Sunday, December 9, 2007

Confessions of a Man-Pleaser

Today...the first of what I suspect may become a multitude of personal confessions.
Confession #1: I am a man-pleaser.
If you're fortunate enough not to know what that means, in short, it is a reference to a personal desire to make the people around me happy with me. It is a desire to be liked.
All pros and cons aside, I find that this character trait proves to be both distracting and destructive to success in ministry. I am often more concerned about the approval of my senior pastor than ensuring than I am serving God with my whole heart.
Fortunately for me the antidote is as easily obtained as the diagnosis: love God wholeheartedly and stop caring about what people think.
Sound easy? Let me know when you figure out how to get from A to B. I suppose that's the process called "sanctification."

1 comment:

Erica said...

This has nothing to do with your blog but I can't call you on the phone and there's something I really need to tell you..first of all...happy "late" birthday. and most importantly...I MISS YOU (a lot)